For the 2018 Municipal Election we asked candidates a series of questions about a whole variety of transportation topics, starting with the big ones regarding climate change and modal priority and then into specific questions from each group.
Here are the questions we asked:
- What would be your highest priorities in the next four years to reduce the total energy use and emissions from transportation?
- Over the next 4 years, would you support increasing the space for walking, biking, and public transit and reducing that for private motor vehicles in your community? How would you do that?
- Would you actively encourage the provincial government to prioritize public transit, walking and biking infrastructure over roadway expansion projects such as the proposed interchanges on the Pat Bay Highway?
- Do you support making walking safer and more enjoyable in your municipality?
- What specific policies, projects and expenditures would you support in the next four years to make walking safer and more pleasant in your municipality?
- Do you support building a community-wide network of all ages and abilities (“AAA”) bike routes in the next four years?
- Do you support…
- (Central Saanich only) Do you support upgrading Lochside Dr to an AAA bikeway?
- (Colwood only) building a protected AAA bike lane on Sooke Rd from the View Royal border to Metchosin Road?
- (Esquimalt only) building a protected AAA bike lane on Lampson and Tillicum roads?
- (Highlands only) building an AAA bikeway along Millstream Rd?
- (Langford only) upgrading the existing bike lane on Goldstream Ave to a protected lane?
- (Metchosin only) building an AAA bikeway along Metchosin Rd?
- (North Saanich only) completing and adding protection to the existing bike lane on McDonald Park Rd?
- (Oak Bay only) building a protected bike lane on Cadboro Bay Rd to connect to Ecole Willows School?
- (Saanich only) building a protected bike lane on Gorge Rd?
- (Sidney only) building a protected bike lane on Beacon Ave?
- (Sooke only) building a protected bike lane on Otter Point Rd?
- (Victoria only) completing the downtown AAA bikeway grid on Wharf St, Humboldt St and Vancouver St?
- (View Royal only) building a protected bike lane on Island Hwy from the Colwood border to Admirals Rd?
- Would you support keeping the E&N railway as a railway and actively campaign for electrified passenger and freight services?
- Would you support completing the 24/7 bus lanes along the Douglas Street/Highway 1 corridor, as well as along other routes such as the Pat Bay Highway as a high priority for municipalities and the BC government in the next four years?
- Would you support and actively campaign for street-level electrified rapid transit in the greater Victoria region? If so, along what routes?
Parking & Place-making questions
- In the next four years, would you support removing the requirements for off-street vehicle parking from new and infill developments?
- In the next four years, how, would you activate and bring more people into public spaces within your municipality, including sidewalks, public squares, streets and parks?